Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Graduate. Buy a Scuba suit and the DVD.



The review should be posted up no later than 11/22/2013-Cheapo
Post will be up VERY soon(about 1-3 hours). Grandma in Canada had medical issues(appendicitis)  past few days, so I was preoccupied. The good news is shes age 94 and still chugging along~. Thanks for believing!

The Graduate.

(Make sure to grab a scuba suit.)
note: This is a ImProv type review, Where I write a quick review based on what I watched, and it aimed towards people whom I assume have either watched the movie, or are planning to watch the movie. I reference and summarize some parts of the movie so that I will be able to describe that specific scene with greater detail.(since the way its show also links up to the actual story).

You will notice that I reference certain parts of the move that you may, or may not have noticed. This review is To display what I experienced while watching the video, and is my personal take on the movie. also: SPOILERS AHOY!

Yet again, It its time for another review!

(you should know where to find the title by now... correct?)

But before we start this video, I do have to forewarn you: I'm a comedy guy, Not much of a Drama guy. So I'll probably focus on the comedic parts of the movie.


If there is one thing this movie is good at (besides being super serious at dramatic parts),
Is using a form of comedy I would call "Awkward duckling".

A good way to describe this type of comedy is:
The funny person isn't trying to be funny, the way he/she awkward reacts to his/her environment is the funny part.

Ie: sticking a cat in the shower and turning the shower on.  (cat freaks out)

Now This kind of comedy has many limiting factors(awkwardness alone isn't enough to win the audience). But to overcome such limits, Techniques can be used enhances/exaggerates the awkwardness.

The Graduate does any excellent job at these said enhancements, and uses Camera work (angles, point of view) + Sound design to maximize the awkwardness of the current situation.

Since this kinda of comedy is hard to pull off on the big screen, its rare to see it employed.


Situation A: The Scuba suit.

First the did an establishing shot so you the view will know what sort of awkward situation Benjamin is in.

Wideshot: Benjamin is in a scuba suit. What a fun birthday gift.


Then the movie lets you see what Benjamin sees. Notice the restricted vision which is used to represent the mask that is wearing.

But What you can't see from my pictures is sound effects (if you can hear it... good for you).
one obvious sound effect is the breathing. you can tell he is having a bit of am issue.

But one effect that is missing... Is the sound of the surrounding. From Benjamin's point of view, He can't hear the surroundings clearly. 


View through diving mask: Adventures await me in my backyard pool.


an encouraging push.


As Benjamin enters the water, You can hear the water as he submerges. (And you can see that the creators also seemed to have submerged the camera. good job!). Then they decide to end the scene with Benjamin submerged in his backyard pool.


I'll Stay down here for a bit....


situation B: At the hotel

Benjamin is up to no good at the hotel. First they established what the environment is:
notice the guy at the table, And the wooden desk parts to the left.



And you can guess, Benjamin suspiciously hangs out at the wooden desk parts. 


And after a while, The guy takes notice and asks benjamin the perfect question.
"are you here for an affair?" (he means the dinner party affair*)





And of course the face on Benjamin is priceless. Notice how the wood desk pieces are still there, meaning its the same place. (continuity) 

(Oh god. busted....)


sounds funny right? Probably not. These are but observations based off my my personal viewing of the movie.

what I describe to you carries little essence to what the movie actually has to offer.
These awkward scene can't be perfectly executed with just pictures and caption, Its the perfect combination of sound, image and video which encapsulates this kind of comedy.


My recommendation is to GO WATCH THE MOVIE.


So Here's the price I would Give this movie:

Price of DVD, and a scuba suit.
(msrp: about 20$ +200$)

The Graduate May have been one of my lesser favorite types of movies (drama), but I can't deny that its a well executed movie. The comedy bits that the movie employs are all executed perfectly and enhance the viewer experience.  Due to a mix of good sound mixing, good acting, and good camera work, I can recommend this to most people. 
If you are sensitive to sexual content, or could careless about dramas, I would recommend against watching the video.







sources cited:
movie:
The Graduate. Dir. Mike Nichols Embassy Pictures.

Netflix( how I re-viewed the movie so I could take screenshots.)

Wikipedia (I forgot the main characters name...)



No comments:

Post a Comment